Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 42

GARAGE: By Thursday we had all we needed to get done on the garage before I left on vacation. The picture below does not include the soffit, roof and Tyvek being completed. Now all that is left is the windows/doors, siding and a concrete lip on the front and a pad on the back. Three things I have loved about the garage:
1) Physically working my tail off. The sweating. The aches. The pain. I've loved it. Don't get that sitting at a desk in an office.
2) Sense of accomplishment. I'm building myself, my family, a garage. I'm doing it. Kyle is telling me what to do. But I'm building it with him. Amazing.
3) Getting to know Kyle. What a great guy Kyle is. I mean, it's not that I didn't like him before this, but I just have realized how much I didn't know about him. Hard working. Efficient. Funny. I've made a good friend.

NEBRASKA: Ok this technically has nothing to do with my sabBRADical, but all I've been doing for the past week or so is waiting to see if the Huskers would move to the Big 10. Big picture-great move and great reasons to move. Historically-hate to lose the games with the teams in the central part of the US. I think it could have all been avoided if Big 8 would have held together from the start of the Big XII, but that's water under the bridge now. To all my Midwest friends in OH and PA who follow the Buckeyes and the Lions, I can't wait for 2011!

FREE STUFF: One of my favorite things about Hesston is Free Friday. Last weekend were the city-wide garage sales. Today everyone puts out the stuff they couldn't sell so that on Saturday morning the city can pick it up and take it to the dump. That means people from other towns come into Hesston today and go through other people's stuff that is sitting on the corner of their property. It's so funny to watch people slow down and evaluate whether they want to stop or not. Tonight while jogging we watched people with their high beams on driving up and down the streets. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment